COM 2220 Introduction to Communication Theory
Examination of major foundational theories that inform the field of communication. Special emphasis on communication theories that examine the self and the message, relationship development, groups and organizations, the public and the media, as well as culture and diversity.
Prerequisites: DEV 0035 or Other (Any other college level English course)
- Identify major theorists and their theories in the field of communication.
- Critically apply communication theories to a variety of contexts.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements of the communication process and the requisite skill for becoming effective communicators in a variety of contexts.
- Demonstrate understanding of the foundation of communication theory in preparation for advanced study.
- Define and explain the basic terms, principles, and theories of interpersonal, group, organizational, intercultural, public and/or media communication.
Credit Hours: 3
- Classroom: 3 hours
- Division: Liberal Arts, Communication and Social Sciences
- Department: Communication
- Repeatable Credit: No
- Offered Online: Yes