HIM 1160 Medical Office Coding Concepts
Introduction to principles and conventions for assigning ICD-10-CM and CPT codes to patient encounter for billing physician services. Students should possess proficiency in basic medical terminology.
Prerequisites: HIM 1101
- Demonstrate the personal behaviors, attitudes, and values consistent with and appropriate to the entry-level HIM professional.
- Apply guidelines to identify what clinical information is appropriate to code for the billing of physician services.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply the basic rules, basic principles, and conventions of the ICD-10-CM coding systems, in order to correctly assign codes for the billing of physician services.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply the basic rules, basic principles, and conventions of the CPT/HCPCS coding system, in order to correctly assign codes for the billing of physician services.
- Apply medical terminology and coding conventions to correctly relate to clinical documentation.
Credit Hours: 1
- Classroom: 1 hour
- Division: Health Sciences
- Department: Health Information Management
- Repeatable Credit: No
- Offered Online: Yes
Term: Summer 2023
Format: Condensed content. Shorter than normal term. Complete work online when it fits your schedule, while adhering to weekly deadlines. No scheduled meeting times. Requires computer and high-speed internet.
Note: B Term
Course Fee: $7.50
Open Seats: 12
Open Seats: 12