HIM 1201 Introductory Medical Office Coding
Introduction to principles, guidelines and conventions for assigning ICD-10-CM diagnostic codes and CPT procedure codes to patient encounters for physician services. Additional out-of-class assignments are required.
Prerequisites: HIM 1101 and BIO 1121
- Demonstrate the ability to correctly apply the rules, principles, and conventions of the CPT coding system in order to appropriately assign codes for the billing of physician services.
- Apply national guidelines to identify what clinical information is appropriate to code.
- Demonstrate knowledge of anatomy, disease process, and medical terminology to correctly interpret clinical documentation.
- Utilize Alphabetic Index and Tabular List of ICD-10-CM to appropriately assign codes for correctly identified diagnoses.
- Exhibit the professional behaviors, attitudes, and values consistent with and appropriate to the entry-level Health Information Management (HIM) professional.
Credit Hours: 4
- Classroom: 4 hours
- Division: Health Sciences
- Department: Health Information Management
- Repeatable Credit: No
- Offered Online: Yes
11:00AM to 12:50PM