Sinclair College Catalog

Skip to main content
Sinclair College

Academic Petition Process

If you experienced an emergency situation which affected your ability to withdraw before the deadline date or your ability to finish course requirements, you may ask the Academic Petitions Committee to consider your circumstances. You must file a petition in the Office of the Assistant Provost as soon as possible, but no later than two years following the term when the grade was recorded. The college strictly adheres to this policy and exceptions are not made.

Examples of emergency situations which might support your petition are:

• accident or sudden, severe illness for which medical treatment was received

• unexpected hospitalization

• death of a family member

• unanticipated out-of-town assignment by employer

• incarceration

With your petition you must submit documentation of your circumstances that prevented you from withdrawing before the deadline and/or impacted your ability to attend class and complete coursework. Documentation from your physician, employer, agency, etc. must be on letterhead and contain the dates pertaining to your situation to verify your inability to attend class.

Once a petition is submitted, it is logged in and routed to Academic Advising for review and a recommendation. It is then returned and placed on the agenda for the next Academic Petition Committee meeting. This cycle can take up to three months to complete. Additionally, the Committee does not meet during the summer months.

The results of the Committee’s petition decision, whether granted or denied, will be communicated to you by a letter sent to the address on the petition you submit.

If you are interested in filing a Tuition Refund Appeal that is a separate process handled by the Bursar’s office, phone 937-512-2568.

For a petition form, come to the Office of the Assistant Provost, Room 7330, or call 937-512-3044 and one can be mailed to you.

Medical or Mental Health Withdrawal

A medical or mental health withdrawal is defined as withdrawal from classes due to a severe medical condition, either physical or emotional. It is intended for use only in extraordinary circumstances in which unanticipated serious illness or injury prevents a student from continuing to attend or participate in one or more classes.

Request Process:

1. Withdrawals requests based on physical or emotional issues should be completed as soon as possible by the student or the student’s legal guardian and submitted to the office of student affairs (Room 10-202).

2. Medical statement must be completed by physician and/or therapist (Link to medical statement). All application materials will be confidentially maintained.

3. If you receive financial aid or veterans benefits, discuss the impact of your withdrawal on your eligibility for the assistance received.

a) Students receiving financial aid or military-related funding should speak with departmental staff members in the Military Family Education Center or with an enrollment specialist in the Welcome Center to have an understanding how it may impact their current financial aid, or future financial aid.

b) Students requesting classes to be withdrawn from their academic transcripts may be required to return their financial aid refund amount for that semester.

4. If the withdrawal is approved, the class(es) will be removed without record from the student’s transcript.

For more information, or assistance in initiating this process, contact the office of student affairs (937) 512-2291