Fresh Start Policy
"Fresh Start" allows a student, who has returned to the college after an absence of at least two years (6 semesters), and has completed specific requirements, a "one time only" option of having his or her grade point average recalculated from the point of re-enrollment without losing credit for previous course work for which a grade of S, P, C or better was earned. Financial Aid & Scholarships policies do not recognize the Fresh Start Policy or any changes it may have on a student's record.
The academic Fresh Start Policy and its conditions are as follows:
1. To be eligible for Fresh Start, a student must:
- Re-enrolled in the college after an absence of at least 6 consecutive semesters (including summers).
- Successful completion any required Development (DEV) courses anytime during their college experience based on an assessment of reading, language usage, writing and numerical skills.
- Successfully completion of a minimum of six credit hours after re-enrollment with grades of S, P, C or better. DEV courses do not count toward the 6 credit hours.
Example 2: 1st semester: 15 hours - FS applied
Example 3: 1st semester: 3 hours
2nd semester: 3 hours - FS applied
Example 4: 1st semester: 2 hours
2nd semester: 3 hours
3rd semester: 8 hours - FS applied
2. The policy can be applied only once and only to classes taken before re-enrollment. Once approved, the application of this policy against the student's record is irrevocable.
3. After a student elects Fresh Start and eligibility is verified, a notation will be added to the student's transcript indicating that all Sinclair credit hours earned prior to policy enactment will be subject to the following conditions:
- Previous cumulative GPA is recalculated based upon the elimination of D, F, and Z grades.
- Credit earned at Sinclair with a grade of at least S, P, C or higher is carried over.
- Credit earned at Sinclair with a grade of "D" is forfeited
- Grades from all course work taken at Sinclair will be shown on the transcript
4. Fresh Start may not be applied to any course previously used by the student to complete a degree or certificate.
The academic transcript will show:
The Fresh Start Policy has been applied for academic work taken at Sinclair prior to Term/Year.
- Last Revised: 10/27/2021