Sinclair College Catalog

Skip to main content
Sinclair College

Accessibility Services Student Resources

Apply to Accessibility Services

Common forms of documentation include, but are not limited to:

  • An IEP and ETR or 504 Plan
  • Disability Verification  (

Submit your documentation for review by an Accessibility Services Counselor.

Additional documentation Information:

  • Every student and every request is unique. A conversation about your experiences and expectations will help determine if additional information is necessary to support your accommodation requests.
  • If you are not able to locate documentation, schedule an appointment with an Accessibility Services Counselor to discuss the academic barriers you are experiencing and available services.

Meet with a Counselor

  • After applying, you will schedule an intake appointment with an Accessibility Services Counselor.  (

Request Services

Request services by contacting your counselor the first week of the semester. You must request services for each semester. Academic accommodations such as audio textbooks and computer adaptations may take significant lead time to be ready in time for effective use. To expedite the request for Audio Textbooks & Adaptive Furniture please click the links below and submit the form.

Policy Statement

The mission of the Accessibility Services is to serve as advocates for qualified students with disabilities, offer accommodation provisions to students in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, provide consultation to staff and faculty on disability issues related to access and academic success, and suggest appropriate linkages to community resources.

The philosophy of Accessibility Services is to promote self-advocacy, inclusion, and to pursue innovation in services for students with disabilities. The department goal is to foster an environment where students can maximize their educational potential while assisting them to develop and/or maximize their independence.

Accessibility Services will work in collaboration with students to determine the accommodation provisions needed through individualized discussion. While Accessibility Services primarily serves the student population, assistance is also available to faculty members and staff charged with the responsibility of providing academic access and necessary accommodations to students with disabilities.

Accessibility Services is the designated campus office that verifies whether or not students have a documented disability that significantly impacts their ability to access educational programs. Accessibility Services will determine the appropriateness of a requested accommodation on a case-by-case basis. Students seeking or desiring services are required to identify their needs and to register with Accessibility Services to be considered eligible for accommodations.

The following policies and procedures have been developed to facilitate access.


The purpose of this publication is to inform eligible students with disabilities of their right to an accessible educational setting and to answer some anticipated questions about policies and procedures of Accessibility Services at Sinclair Community College.

Compliance Responsibility

Responsibility for coordinating Sinclair's compliance for meeting students needs under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) resides with Accessibility Services.


Disability-related information is treated as medical information and handled under the same strict rules of confidentiality as other medical information. This includes the comprehensive documentation from appropriate sources that persons with disabilities must provide to establish the existence of their disability and their need for accommodation(s). The general requirement that counselors keep information confidential does not apply when disclosure is required to prevent clear and imminent danger to the student or others or when legal requirements demand that confidential information be revealed.

Further, at the college level, the information regarding a student's disability is shared on a limited confidential need-to-know basis and then only when there is a compelling reason for such disclosure. This may mean sharing with faculty only the information that a student has a documented disability and need for accommodation.

Disability documentation is collected and maintained separate from the student's college record and is kept in secure files by Accessibility Services. Records are maintained for five years after the student's last date of attendance. After five years of nonattendance at Sinclair, records will be destroyed in a confidential manner.

Specific statutory and regulatory language and confidentiality is most readily found in the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title I at 42 U.S.C. ss12112(d)(3) & (4); 29 C.F.R. ss1630.14- 1630.16, the EEOC's interpretive guidance and its technical assistance manual.

How to Register

Apply >

Provide a copy of documentation of your diagnosis to Accessibility Services

Documentation can be provided in the following ways: In person, at the office of Accessibility Services 10-424

By mail, Accessibility Services, 444 West Third Street Dayton, OH 45402 By Fax, (937) 512-4521

By email,  

If you need documentation, have a medical provider fill out this verification worksheet: Disability Verification  (

Meet >
Once the office of Accessibility Services receives your documentation, we will contact you within 7 business days to
schedule an appointment with a counselor.

If you are not contacted within the 7 business days, please contact the office at (937)512-5113

The counselor will arrange accommodations with you during this meeting

Attend >
Attend the courses you have registered for

Each Semester you will need to contact Accessibility Services to receive a Self-ID Letter

The Self-ID Letter is required to inform instructors of your approved accommodations

Eligibility for Accessibility Services

If the documentation is evaluated and meets requirements, an intake interview is scheduled with a counselor. Qualified individuals with disabilities who produce required documentation of their disability and self-identify their needs for accommodations are eligible for Accessibility Services.

A "qualified person with a disability" is someone with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, who, with or without accommodations can meet the essential requirements for participation in a program.

Accessibility Services Documentation Guidelines

Accessibility Services requires appropriate documentation to determine that a student is eligible for services under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

Appropriate types of documentation include:

Disability Verification form

Evaluation Team Report (ETR)

Psychological/psycho-educational evaluation

Letter from a medical/mental health provider

Documentation is required to meet the following criteria:

Qualifications of Clinician/Provider: Documentation must be typed on office or practice letterhead, dated and signed
by a professional who is licensed or certified in the area for which the diagnosis is made. Name, title, and
license/certification credentials must be stated.

Diagnosis & History: A diagnostic statement identifying the disability including a DSM classification along with any
relevant personal, psycho-social, medical, developmental and/or educational history.

Description of Diagnostic Methodology: A description of the diagnostic methodology used, including data and
measurements from appropriate evaluation instruments.

Current Impact and Functional Limitations: A clear description of the current impact and functional limitations of the
condition pertaining to the academic environment.

Recommendations: Recommendations should be directly linked to the impact or functional limitations associated with
the disability, or medication prescribed to control symptoms and include a clear rationale based on level of impairment.

Accessibility Services utilizes flexibility and discretion in determining how recent documentation must be, especially for
conditions that are permanent or non[1]varying.

Changing conditions and/or changes in how a condition impacts the individual may warrant more frequent documentation

Documentation and completed disability verification forms can be submitted in person to the Accessibility Services office, 
email to, or fax to (937)512-4521.

Disability Management

Students who are determined eligible for services are assigned to a Accessibility Services counselor to work with throughout their schooling at Sinclair. This counselor may not only provide you with disability-related information and accommodations but may also work with you on managing other disability-related concerns if they impact your education. Accessibility Services has rehabilitation and professional counselors who are nationally certified and/or licensed in the state of Ohio.


Accessibility Services will provide reasonable academic accommodations, auxiliary aids, and support services that are individualized and based upon disability documentation, functional limitations and a collaborative assessment of needs. Students request accommodations/auxiliary aids based on what they are authorized to use and specific class needs. Accessibility Services does not guarantee to meet personal preference requests, but rather ensures that reasonable academic accommodations and auxiliary aids will be provided in accordance with ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.


  1. Equal access to courses, programs, services, activities, and facilities offered throughout the College.
  2. Reasonable academic accommodations and services after providing the Accessibility Services with appropriate documentation of your disability and a joint assessment of needs with your Accessibility Services Counselor.
  3. Confidentiality. Disability documentation is kept by Sinclair's Accessibility Services on a confidential need-to-know basis. Exception: Records may be shared if you agree, in writing, to release them, or when such a disclosure is required or permitted by law.
  4. Advocacy support. If you appropriately make known your need for an approved academic accommodation to your instructor and it is denied, notify Accessibility Services immediately about the situation. If outside of Accessibility Services regular operating hours, leave a brief message at (937) 512-5113, describing your perspective. GRIEVANCE PROCEDURES
  5. Discuss your concerns if you believe that your right to appropriate accommodations has not been met. Disability-related concerns should be discussed with your DDS Counselor. If unresolved, you may report your concerns to the Manager for the Department of Accessibility Services, and thereafter the Director, Student Affairs, if necessary. Note: This department may need to involve other appropriate college personnel in order to fully address the issues at hand.
  6. Our goal is to facilitate individualized reasonable accommodations and supports. However, the Office for Civil Rights (OCR), U.S. Department of Education protects the rights of students and ensures that individuals who meet the program qualifications and eligibility requirements are given equal opportunity to participate. You reserve the right to file a grievance through OCR, if you believe your situation has not been resolved within the college support system.


  1. Meet qualifications and maintain essential institutional standards for courses, programs, services, activities, and facilities.
  2. Register with Accessibility Services and provide documentation of your disability from a qualified professional and how the disability limits your participation in courses, programs, services, activities, and facilities to be eligible for any accommodation from the college.
  3. Contact your assigned Accessibility Services Counselor in a timely manner for assistance to identify and secure academic accommodations and supports. In addition, inform your assigned counselor if you are uncertain about what you need or are having difficulty getting what you requested.
  4. Contact your Accessibility Services Counselor early so they can complete a Self[1]Identification (Self-ID) form which is evidence of your eligibility for reasonable accommodations. When requesting classroom and/or testing accommodations from your instructors, a Self-ID form must be presented to each instructor for each class you are enrolled. Note: It is best to make an appointment with your instructor to share the approved accommodations as stated on your Self-ID form.
  5. Request classroom and testing accommodations in a timely manner from faculty (at least one week in advance).
  6. Inform Accessibility Services if your name, address, or telephone number changes. 
Sinclair Community College and the Department of Accessibility Services primary concern is the successful completion of students' academic goals. The college is dedicated to providing access for all students.


Students with disabilities are permitted to use personal aids and specialized equipment, so long as the aid or equipment does not interfere with other students or the faculty member. Faculty members may work with students on alternative aids and equipment that might assist students in accessing academic materials. Problems related to the use of aids or equipment in the classroom should be referred to Accessibility Services for resolution.

Students are responsible for providing their own personal devices or services, including, but not limited to the following: wheelchairs or wheelchair repair; personal transportation; computers and software for use at home; individually prescribed devices; prescription eyeglasses; hearing aids; readers for personal use; alternate format materials unrelated to academic courses; hand[1]held magnifiers; tape recorders; electronic spelling aids; foot, arm or wrist rests; book or copyholder; and note taker paper in the Bookstore; or services of a personal nature including assistance in eating, using the toilet, bathing, or dressing are considered personal aides. As appropriate, Accessibility Services will make referrals to agencies or organizations that may be available to assist students in fulfilling needs outside of the authority of Accessibility Services.

A.   PERSONAL CARE ATTENDANTS Personal Care Attendants/Assistants are authorized to accompany students with disabilities and to perform both personal and academic tasks for them, such as taking notes, scribing, and turning pages. These attendants must not, however, interfere with other students or the teaching faculty member. Problems that relate to personal attendant services should be referred to Accessibility

B.   Services. B. SERVICE ANIMALS A service animal means any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. In such cases, Accessibility Services will render a decision based on documentation of the disability (*according to Accessibility Services Documentation Guidelines) and the disability-related necessity for the service, companion or therapy animal. Unless a service, companion or therapy animal is at risk, poses a hazard or risk to specific campus facilities (including research or activities undertaken in such facilities), or is a threat to the safety or physical well-being of others, individuals with disabilities are permitted to use service, companion and therapy animals on the College campus.

An accommodation request to allow a service, companion or therapy animal in the College environment on an ongoing basis must be processed through Accessibility Services. A student must meet and abide by the following criteria:

  1. Provide current medical documentation assessed by appropriately certified professionals verifying the functional limitations associated with the disability and the recommended accommodations, which should include the use of the service animal.
  2. Provide initial proof of service animal license, vaccination and annual health exam.
  3. In all situations and at all times, the handler must be in full control of the service, companion or therapy animal. The handler is responsible for the care and supervision of the animal, as well as clean-up of animal waste. A handler may be asked to remove a service, companion or therapy animal from the College due to disruption, ill health of the animal or uncleanliness. The handler assumes financial responsibility for any damages incurred.

Adaptive Equipment & Furniture

Sinclair maintains a variety of adaptive equipment available for use by students with disabilities. This equipment is set up each quarter in the locations where specific students need it. Sinclair has made great efforts to integrate fully accessible adapted computer stations in various labs across campus. Students should discuss their needs for the upcoming quarter with their Accessibility Services Counselor at least two weeks prior to the start of the quarter. Keep in mind that some adaptive equipment installations may take additional lead time to arrange and may require as much as four weeks of lead time.

Adjustable Workstations

High back chair, low back chairs, padded chairs with arms or without

Wheelchair accessible tables

FM Systems (Hearing Impaired)

Personal frequency modulation (FM) systems are like miniature radio stations operating on special frequencies. The personal FM system consists of a transmitter microphone used by the speaker (such as the teacher in the classroom, or the speaker at a lecture) and a receiver used by you, the listener. The receiver transmits the sound to your ears or, if you wear a hearing aid, directly to the hearing aid.

These are just a few resources available to students. If you require something more please contact Disability and Counseling Services to further discuss your needs.

Interpreters for the Deaf

Requests for sign language interpreters may be made by contacting the Accessibility Services, in person in room 10424, by phone at (937) 512-5113 (v) or (937) 512-3096 (TTY). Please allow two weeks for a request to be filled. To request an interpreter for any event other than a scheduled class time (ie: tutoring, advising, field trip, open labs), complete a "request for special services from interpreters" form available in Accessibility Services.

It is the student's responsibility to notify Accessibility Services if they will not be attending a class or meeting that has an interpreter assigned so that a cancellation may be made. Students who repeatedly do not show up for classes or meetings, and do not call to have the interpreter cancelled in a timely manner will have interpreter services suspended until they meet with a Accessibility Services counselor. In the same way, interpreters are required to notify Accessibility Services if a student does not show up for a scheduled class or meeting.

Communication and the Interpreter

The sign language interpreter is a paid professional hired by the college to facilitate communication between the Deaf student, the instructor, the hearing class members, and/or any other person requiring communication assistance. At the beginning of each quarter the interpreter is assigned a schedule of classes to interpret and his or her role in the classroom is defined by a set of ethical standards established by the National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf and upheld by the Department of Accessibility Services.

The interpreter will position him or herself in the classroom to best meet the needs of the hard of hearing or Deaf student. Often this will mean the interpreter is in front of the class with the instructor to give the student a complete visual presentation.

The interpreter will communicate the content of the course in a method most readily understood by the individual student.

The interpreters will neither add nor delete any interaction that takes place in the classroom. Disruptive sidebar conversation reported by the student will be addressed accordingly. The interpreters job is not to tutor; therefore, all questions by the Student will be relayed directly to the instructor.

The interpreter is in the classroom to facilitate communication only. Not to run errands, proctor exams or discuss the student personal life.

Available Services & Accommodations

Extended Time

  • Students are eligible for time and a half (1.5x) for multiple choice and short answer formats
  • Students are eligible for double time (2x) for essay and problem solving formats
  • Anyone eligible for double time on all exam forms will have that noted on their self id letter.
  • Anything beyond what the student is eligible for is up to the instructor

Distraction Reduced Testing Environment

Student will need to take exams and quizzes in a location where distractions are minimized. A room that minimizes both the auditory (e.g. copy machines, talking) and visual distractions (e.g. people moving in and out of the testing space.)

Proctored Exams

Proctored exams are to be taken in the Testing Center with a proctor watching over the testing environment.

Note Taker Volunteer

You may obtain a copy of a classmate lecture notes by recruiting a volunteer note taker. You should ask your instructor to make an announcement that a volunteer note taker is needed, or if you are comfortable doing so, you may ask your classmates whether they are willing to provide you with a copy of their notes. Ideally two volunteers should be identified to allow for absences. At the end of class, each of you gets one copy of the notes, and you get back the remaining paper and binder.

Audio Record Lecture

Audio-recording class lectures is sometimes an accommodation recommended for certain students with verified disabilities. Students who have memory impairments, visual impairments, attention deficits or distractibility, impaired auditory processing, or limited manual dexterity often benefit from having audio recordings of class lectures as a supplement to their own or a note-taker written notes.

Alternative Textbooks

Those with vision impairment and learning disabilities and concentration issues can request audio books. Textbooks must be purchased or rented. Please allow up to 1-2 weeks to receive the file from publishers. Textbooks will be distributed on cd, zip drive, or google drive. Students must provide proof of purchase or renting of textbooks. The preferred playback is Read and Write Gold or Adobe Reader. Both programs are free to students.

Accessible Parking:

When to Request Services

Students must apply for services and request accommodations in a timely manner. Some accommodations such as audio textbooks and computer adaptations may take significant lead[1]time to be ready in time for effective student use. The following are suggested time frames for specific accommodations:


Suggested Time Frame

Audio textbooks

1-2 weeks dependent upon publisher rights, before start of semester

Interpreters/C-Print Captioning

1 Month before needed


2 weeks before needed

Special furniture

2 weeks before start of semester

PED Assistants

2 weeks before start of semester

Adaptive equipment

1 week before needed

Priority tutoring referrals

1st week of the semester

Braille from computer disk

2 weeks before needed

Braille from clear print copy

2 weeks before needed

Self-identification to instructors if requesting large print or Braille

2 weeks before start of semester

Self-identification (Self-ID) Form to instructors for all other accommodations

Second class session

Safety for Student With Disabilities

Earthquakes and other Severe Weather

If there is an earthquake affecting Sinclair, our policy directs personnel who are physically able to, to assist disabled persons to the designated shelter area. It is safe for the physically challenged persons to use the elevators. Able bodied persons should use the stairs so the capacity of the elevators is not overloaded. This is from our Emergency Management Plan (EMP) Threat Annex #3 (EARTHQUAKES, EARTH MOVEMENTS, FLOODS, TORNADOES AND OTHER SEVERE WEATHER)

Shelter in Place

Whenever they are unable to do so, persons with disabilities shall be assisted with transportation to a shelter in place area.

Persons with medical conditions requiring durable medical equipment and/or medicines that require administration prior to the expected duration of the shelter in place order shall be identified.

Arrangements should be made to acquire the durable medical equipment and/or medications based on the seriousness of the medical issue. If such arrangements cannot be made, the Dayton EMS shall be contacted to transport the person to a medical facility that can be accomplished with safety.

If persons are injured while responding to or while inside a shelter-in-place area, Sinclair Police will be notified to       respond.They will make arrangements to summons Dayton EMS. If exterior EMS units are unavailable, any Sinclair
employees with appropriate medical training can assist the injured parties.

When feasible, service animals for persons with disabilities shall be allowed in a shelter-in-place area.
If this is done, an area will be specified for the animals to urinate, etc. Companion animals shall not be allowed when the area is so
crowded that persons attempting to enter a shelter-in-place area would have to be turned away due to the area being
unavailable due to space being taken up by companion animals. The safety of human life is the top priority. This is from our Functional Annex #3 (Shelter in Place) from our EMP.


Persons with hearing disabilities will be strongly encouraged to register for Sinclair Nixle text notification system so that they can receive a visual text warning of an emergency condition. The Nixle system has the capability to provide continuous information as to the status of the emergency and is able to give directions concerning areas to go to and/or to avoid during the emergency. In addition, the emergency broadcast system in each building has a visual strobe to alert persons that an emergency is occurring. Accessibility Services will also maintain a contact list of persons proficient in sign language should individuals with hearing disabilities need more information than might be available through Nixle. Accessibility Services will evaluate whether such persons are needed and if they are, Accessibility Services will be in charge of contacting people on the list to respond to the area they are needed.

Persons with a sight disability can be alerted of an emergency through the audio version of Sinclair Emergency Broadcast System. Faculty and Staff coming in contact with persons with a sight disability are encouraged to assist them in moving to areas of safety. This is from our Functional Annex #5 (Communication) from our EMP.


In case of fire do not use elevators. People with disabilities who cannot walk or be assisted down the stairs should stay in an enclosed stairway landing Area of Refuge and wait for the arrival of emergency personnel. An enclosed stairway landing is known as an Area of Refuge. Assisting individuals must notify Sinclair Police of stranded persons needing rescue. This is from our Functional Annex #9 (Evacuation) from our EMP

  • Last Revised: 07/27/2023