Apply for Financial Aid
Apply for Financial Aid
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year by visiting studentaid.gov or by using myStudentAid mobile app. Students submitting a FAFSA for the first time or who last applied before May 2015 must create an FSA ID. The FSA ID is used every year to electronically sign the FAFSA. Financial aid offers are determined by the information provided on the FAFSA.
The following documents are needed to complete the 2022-2023 FAFSA:
- Student's 2020 IRS Form 1040, including all schedules;
- Student's 2020 W2(s);
- Student's 2020 Untaxed income received;
- Student's social security number, driver's license/state ID number;
- Student's FSA ID and password (if FAFSA previously completed);
- Parent(s)/Step-parent 2020 IRS Form 1040, including all schedules;
- Parent(s)/Step-parent 2020 W2s;
- Parent(s)/Step-parent 2020 Untaxed income received (child support, workers' compensation, etc.);
- Parent(s)/Step-parent social security number(s), birth date(s), marital status and date of marriage;
- Parent(s)/Step-parent FSA ID and password (if FAFSA previously completed)
- Student/Spouse (if married) 2020 IRS Form 1040, including all schedules;
- Student/Spouse (if married) 2020 W2s;
- Student/Spouse (if married) 2020 Untaxed income received (child support, workers' compensation, disability benefits, etc.).
When should I apply? Apply as early as possible each year. The FAFSA is available on October 1 for the following academic year. March 1 is the annual priority date established by Sinclair. If students submit the FAFSA after the priority date, they may be required to pay up-front for tuition and books. If students receive a financial aid offer after they have paid tuition, Sinclair can arrange for students to be reimbursed up to the amount of the award.
Some scholarships will require additional applications, available online or from the Financial Aid & Scholarships office. The office also offers scholarship applications online at www.sinclair.edu/scholarships. The dates for these applications are as follows:
- Fall Term scholarship applications are available from June 1 to June 30
- Spring Term scholarship applications are available from November 1 to November 30
- Summer Term scholarship applications are available from March 1 to March 31
The financial aid process can take four to six weeks to complete, depending on individual circumstances and the student's response to Sinclair's request for verification documents. Please plan accordingly.
- Last Revised: 05/03/2022